Dove Vivi - Visit #2

     Our second stop on this 2017 pizza journey was Dove Vivi. We chose Dove Vivi because it is considered by many to easily be in the top 26 pizza places in Portland, and we had been hearing so about their crust. According to their website (dovevivipizza.com) their cornmeal crust is a recipe in its third generation beginning with Mike Freeman at Zelo in Los Angeles. Mike learned the cornmeal crust recipe from Patricia Unterman in the mid 1980's at Vicolo in San Fransisco. 

     Current Dove Vivi owners, Gavin and Delane Blackstock, worked with Mike Freeman at Zelo in LA, and soaked up all the pizza making knowledge they could. In 2005 they made the trip north to Portland to open their own shop and carry on this unique crust recipe.
Pepperoni Classico & Quattro Fromaggio
     Dove Vivi translated into English is "where you live" or "where you are from". After visiting Dove Vivi, I can see myself living there! Well, a few evenings a week, I suppose. For me, the crust was the major highlight. I have never had a pie like this. The pizza has so much character and is so unique.
     Dove Vivi sets high standards with quality, local, and hand made ingredients as well. As they explain on their website, they use organic cornmeal sourced from SE Oregon and NE California. All milled right here in Portland at Bob's Red Mill. They use local olive oil, and everything from their sausage to dressings are made in house.

Pesto (left) & Blue Cheese Thyme (right)

       So what did I think about the overall taste? Between the crust (amazing!), the fresh ingredients, and, the wonderful combinations, I was very impressed. The texture of the cornmeal crust was refreshing and flavorful. The cornmeal creates a unique flavor and texture that I haven't found in other doughs. I could go on and on about the crust, but the freshness of the ingredients really stood out as well. In particular the tomatoes on the red pies, really worked in balance with the other ingredients.
Pepperoni Classico
          The Pepperoni Classico was my favorite pie. I am a meat lover for sure! I thought this pizza offered the best balance in terms of ingredients between the four pies we tried. Each of the four pizzas were excellent. Another thing I noticed is I did not get bloated or overly full after eating 4 slices. I am not sure if this has to do with the crust or the fresh ingredients, but it is definitely something I noticed.


          At Dove Vivi you will find ingredients that compete with the best in town, and the crust really sets their pies apart. I am still a fan on the wood fired pies with the crunch, char, and airy inside, but Dove Vivi really opened my eyes to a totally different style. 

         I will be revealing my rankings at the end of the year, after I try 26 Portland pizzerias, but I can tell you Dove Vivi is at the top at this point of the tour. 

        For more information on Dove Vivi, check out the following links: www.dovevivipizza.com and http://pdx.eater.com/2012/5/7/6589335/dove-vivis-delane-blackstock-deep-dishes-on-crust



Comments