Double Mountain - Visit #8


    Fortuitous scheduling landed us at Double Mountain Taproom on Woodstock Blvd on the same night as our Beer Club meeting. Veggie Doughboy and I are part of a group of friends (BCM) that visit a Portland brewery every 2 months. Our April visit happened to be at a place known for putting out good pies, so we added Double Mountain to our list of 26 "best pizza" candidates.

    As many of you probably know, Double Mountain is a brewery that started in Hood River, OR. Their tap house in HR is a favorite of mine when I am out in the Gorge. Double Mountain opened their Woodstock taproom in 2016, which is their first foray into Portland.

    I will be honest, I was skeptical to even include Double Mountain on the list. I mean, really? A brewery winning best pizza in Portland. Is that possible? Double Mountain is definitely well known for their beer, and their pizza tends to take a backseat when thinking about checking this place out.
Margherita
       I hadn't realized this at prior visits, but they take their pizza really seriously. They bake New Haven style pies, cooking at ~700 degrees F in a wood fired oven. They have 9 pizzas to choose from at the Portland taproom as well. Pretty impressive for a place that is also pumping out serious quantities of world class beer. I wish I had talked with the waiter more and viewed the brick oven, but I was too busy sampling their brew. 

     OK, so let's get to the pizza...how was it? The Marghertia was solid. The crust had a nice char, nice mix of ingredients, and everything tasted fresh. It wasn't the best Marga we have tried this year, but I think "solid" is the right word. 
Truffle Shuffle
       The Truffle Shuffle is a Double Mountain favorite. It is a white pie consisting of mozza, crumbled goat cheese, white truffle oil, marinated portabello mushrooms, and finished with sliced green onions. This was up there for best pie of the night. The bake, texture of the crust, and balance of ingredients all went over well. It washed down nicely with my Hop Lava.
Jersery Pie 

      The Jersey Pie was my favorite of the night. Made with hot capicola, provolone, and mama lil's peppers, this was a really good pie. It's the first time in a while that my favorite wasn't a vegetarian pie! The sauce was subtle, the bake near perfect, and overall I really enjoyed this pie. 
Truffle Shuffle
     Either I had too many beers, or we actually did order two Truffle Shuffle's at the table. I can't recall for sure, and I will post the second picture anyway!

     All in all, Double Mountain is definitely worth checking out for the pizza. Their Woodstock tap house has a great, low key, neighborhood feel to it.

     Double Mountain puts out the best pizza in Hood River, but not Portland. However, this might be the best beer/pizza place to visit in the city. We may have to create an "honorable mention best beer/pizza" category.


Comments