Ovens and Peels

Ovens and Pizza Peels

One of the many great things about baking pizza is you really don't need a lot a special tools. You can make great pizza with four simple ingredients (flour, water, salt, yeast), basic storage containers, cookware, and an oven. 

Like anything, equipment and tools can make a difference in the overall quality of your product, as well as other benefits. This post is a list of oven and peels I use and recommend for baking great pizza! Links and pictures will take you directly to Amazon if you would like to purchase. 


Portable Outdoor Ovens

Roccbox


Buy Roccbox Directly

Gozney US



ROCCBOX by Gozney Portable Outdoor Pizza Oven

This is the oven I use to make most of the pizza you see on my Instagram feed. It is the best portable oven you can buy. I tell people all the time, "if Roccbox was available 6 years ago, I wouldn't have built a wood fired oven.". For $499 you get a wood and gas chamber, metal pizza peel, and an oven that reaches baking temps of up to ~900 F. Perfect for making Neapolitan style pizza. 

I exclusively run my Roccbox on propane because it is so convenient. Fire it up and 30 minutes later you are ready to bake. It is portable as well. Taking it camping, to the park, or a friend's house is all within reach. 

Ooni


Ooni Koda Outdoor Pizza Oven

At $329, Ooni offers a more reasonably priced option, but it does not include a pizza peel. It is also propane fueled, heats up to temps of ~900 F. I am partial to the Roccbox, but this little oven can turn out really nice looking pies. 

Pizza Peels

When it comes to pizza peels you really want to a wood peel and turning peel. Wood peels are great for launching your pizza into the oven. Turning peels are small and used to rotate the pizza in the oven. 


Wood Peel

The Baker's Board - Wood Pizza Peel
This is the peel I use for my Roccbox. My pies glide off this into the oven. I never get snags or holes in my dough. Always lightly flour your peel before placing you pie on the peel. 




Turning Peels

American Metalcraft Turning Peel
Actively rotating your pizza in a Roccbox or Ooni is required to prevent burning your pizza and to maintain an even bake. This is the turning peel I use for my Roccbox. It is less than $20 and does the job.



ROCCBOX Turning Peel
Roccbox makes a turning peel which is much higher quality than the American Metalcraft that I use. However, it is $65. If you want the best, go with this option. 








Comments